Ford’s design team has created the Ford F-22 F-150 Raptor based on the U.S. Air Force’s Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor fighter jet for auction at AirVenture Oshkosh. The one-of-a-kind truck fetched $300,000 for the Experimental Aircraft Association Gathering of Eagles – an organization and an event committed to aviation and encouraging youth involvement in flight.
Ford has raised more than $3 million for the annual event since 2008 by creating collector’s edition vehicles, with F-22 F-150 Raptor the premier offering at this year’s live gala July 28. Ford served as exclusive automotive sponsor of the 2017 AirVenture Oshkosh fly-in at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The F-22 F-150 Raptor was purchased by Gary Ackerman of Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas, Nevada. The vehicle has found the perfect home in that Ackerman serves as Honorary Commander/Ambassador for the United States Airforce’s F-22 Squadron at Nellis Airforce Base in Nevada.
Ford design manager Melvin Betancourt and Ford Performance led design and engineering of the F-22 F-150 Raptor. “Our job – both in the air and on the ground – is to intimidate the competition,” said Betancourt. “The money we raised will enable Young Eagles to reach for the skies as well.”
F-150 Raptor is a high-performance off-road truck delivering 450 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque controlled by Raptor’s Terrain Management System.
Nicole Rush, Ford designer, and the Ford design fabrication team headed up interior enhancements. Building the F-22 F-150 Raptor was entrusted to Brad and Doug DeBerti at DeBerti Design. Betancourt says Ford could not have asked for a more purposeful execution of its vision than what the DeBerti team accomplished.
“Few things are as streamlined, as gloriously intimidating as the shape, metallic color and sinister speed a fighter jet represents,” said Betancourt. “The simple, extreme functionality of the cockpit alone proved inspiring, prompting the team to create matte finishes, purposeful gauges, controls for ready proximity and dramatic LED lighting for the instrument panel.”
Todd Eckert, Ford truck group marketing manager, said the F-22 F-150 Raptor celebrates the fighter jet’s dominance of the skies and the consistent leadership of F-Series on the ground. “Our long-standing commitment to Young Eagles encourages new talent to enter the world of flight, while highlighting the freedom, power, speed and agility shared by the Ford F-150 Raptor and the F-22 Raptor fighter jet,” he added.
Highlights of the Ford F-22 F-150 Raptor include:
- Whipple-intercooled, high-output 3.5-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost® making 545 horsepower and 660 lb.-ft. of torque – taking off-road performance to intimidating new levels
- Modified Addictive Desert Design front suspension and bump stop kit
- Deaver rear spring pack to provide a smooth, progressive suspension
- Fox bypass series shocks with adjustable compression and rebound valving to customize damping for on-road and off-road use
- Innov8 Racing custom forged beadlock wheels with Falcon Wildpeak tires
- Upgraded Alcon six-piston painted calipers, oversized rotors, high-friction pads
- Modular off-road 1.3-million candela LED lighting system by KC Hilites
- Kicker audio system with 1,500 watts of amplification
- Unique Sherwin-Williams exterior paint integrating F-22 Raptor jet cues including titanium grille with front silhouette of the aircraft; jet cues featured on the interior as well
- Amp Research power retracting steps
- DeBerti two-tire, gas and ProEagle jack holder
- LineX sprayed bedliner
- All-stainless-steel cat-back Borla exhaust system with carbon fiber tips
- DeBerti carbon fiber fender flares, hood and fender vents
- Paint hand-cut and polished to a mirror finish by Independent Detail
“Ford has helped build unmatched pathways for young people to discover the world of flight through its support of our Young Eagles, our youth programs and AirVenture,” said Jack Pelton, CEO and chairman, Experimental Aircraft Association. “With its powerful F-150 Raptor donation inspired by aviation, Ford continues to excite with its specialty vehicles, which reflect the depth of its commitment to the Experimental Aircraft Association, its members and the future of flight.”
Sports Car Illustrated is an on-line sports car magazine for sports car enthusiasts by sports car enthusiasts. Updated on a regular basis, Sports Car Illustrated on line sports car magazine brings you a look at the world of sports car from a grass roots perspective.
To submit press releases, articles, photographs or videos contact: info@illustrated
For information about our great advertising rates contact: sales@illustrated
Copyright © 2017 · All Rights Reserved